GRANTS COORDINATOR / ADMINISTRATOR
Full Time, 32-40 Hours Per Week | Calgary, AB
Carthy Foundation is seeking a Grants Coordinator/Administrator to join their small team. Located in Calgary, Alberta, Carthy Foundation is a private philanthropic foundation established in 1965. The foundation provides grants to charitable initiatives across Canada with focused interests in youth and the environment. www.carthyfoundation.org. Carthy Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
Reporting to the President, the Grants Coordinator/Administrator will manage and coordinate a range of activities. The individual will play a key role in advancing the foundation’s impact, will have strong relationships and partnerships with colleagues and associates, and will be supported in their pursuit of ongoing professional development and learning.
The Grants Coordinator/Administrator will be responsible for many of the day-to-day operations of the Foundation and will be the key point of contact for foundation partners and grantees. Success in the role will require a strong orientation to service in relation to the foundation’s external and internal stakeholders.
- Act as the first point of contact for inquiries from the public regarding the foundation’s mandate, guidelines and application procedures;
- Provide initial reviews and assessments of all new unsolicited grant applications and ensure an appropriate response;
- Manage the Foundation’s grants database (Blackbaud);
- Manage the coordination of external reviews of grant proposals;
- Administer day-to-day finances including payment of grants and invoices; reconcile monthly, quarterly, and annual financial information;
- Track grant reports and payments; monitor anticipated cash requirements and coordinate cash calls;
- Provide financial information to staff, controller and auditors;
- Prepare and present a variety of reports and materials;
- Coordinate materials and logistics for board meetings and other foundation events, meetings and functions;
- Record minutes for various meetings including Board of Directors meetings and Committee meetings;
- Ensure the foundation’s website is current and up to date;
- Perform administrative duties including but not limited to mail, correspondence, office supplies, scheduling of meetings, maintaining filing systems and maintaining contact database;
- Undertake special projects and additional duties as assigned by the President from time to time; and
- Provide executive assistance as needed to the President.
The ideal candidate will have earned a post-secondary degree or diploma (university or college) and will have 5-10 years of work experience with the following qualifications, skills and competencies:
- Relevant post-secondary training from an accredited institution;
- Excellent writing skills and an ability to compose business documents such as emails, business letters, and reports with attention to detail;
- Strong capacity to learn database programs, former experience with databases a definite asset;
- Excellent inter-personal skills and a service-oriented, empathetic style in working with colleagues, applicants, and grantees;
- Strong communication skills in a variety of settings (in person, via video, on the telephone and via email);
- Experience working in the Microsoft Office suite, especially Word and Excel;
- Basic non-profit accounting and budgeting skills; attention to detail and accuracy;
- Able to establish and maintain collaborative relationships built on trust and openness;
- Able to meet deadlines and complete projects in a thorough and timely manner;
- Proactive, resourceful, hard-working; able to work as a self-sufficient member of a small team;
- Enthusiastic and curious about the non-profit/charitable sector;
- Impeccable integrity, discretion and confidentiality; and
- Willingness to complete a criminal and credit background check.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. The foundation offers professional development opportunities, a collegial working environment and a competitive, comprehensive benefits package that includes the following:
- 12 flex days a year in addition to 3 weeks annual vacation allotment;
- Participation in the company pension plan which provides 5% pension contribution plus 2% additional matching;
- Participation in the company’s platinum benefits plan;
- Generous health spending account;
- Executive medical provided every 2 years;
- Participation in the company’s annual discretionary incentive program;
- Gym membership and free bike storage onsite;
- Office provided fresh fruit, snacks and beverages; and
- Ability to work from home on an as needed/approved basis.
The position is based in Calgary, Alberta, and will require flexibility for occasional overtime work as well as some travel.
Salary range: $55,000 – $70,000 (depending on breadth of experience and skillset).